Austin Armed Forces Reserve Center
5102 Emma Browning Ave., Austin, TX 78719
Austin Armed Forces Reserve Center (AFRC) is a 209,000 square foot Reserve Center that sits at the corner of Emma Browning Avenue and Burleson Road near the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The AFRC is home to 36th Combat Aviation Brigade Headquarters, Texas Army National Guard, members of the U.S. Army Reserves, U.S. Navy and Marine Reserves. Approximately 1,400 service members train at the Reserve Center, allowing for a long-term cost-savings as state and federal units combine resources and maximize their capabilities. The Reserve Center provides service members with state-of-the-art configurable classrooms, service-specific libraries and medical support facilities, a fitness center and weapons simulation range.
Austin Armed Forces Reserve Center houses Apache Longbow attack helicopters. The AH-64D Apache Longbows sport missile detecting radars, night vision and improvements to digital communications, as well as longer range weapons compared to the retired AH-64A Apache helicopters.
The Austin Armed Forces Reserve Center is also home to the Pilot Training Next program. PTN is an Air Education and Training Command initiative to explore and potentially prototype a training environment that integrates various technologies to produce pilots in an accelerated, cost-efficient, learning-focused manner. The six-month program leans on a variety of technologies, to include virtual and augmented reality, advanced biometrics, artificial intelligence and data analytics.
Arriving at Austin Armed Forces Reserve Center
The closest airport is Austin-Bergstrom International Airport located 6 miles from base.
Directions from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Head southwest on Presidential Blvd
- Slight right toward Hotel Dr then turn right onto Hotel Dr
- Turn right onto Spirit of Texas Dr then turn right toward E State Hwy 71 Service Rd
- Slight right onto E State Hwy 71 Service Rd
- Use the right lane to take the ramp onto TX-71 E
- Merge onto TX-71 E and take the TX-71 E/FM 973 E exit toward Del Valle/Bastrop
- Continue onto TX-71 E/E Hwy 71/Bastrop Hwy
- Turn right onto FM973 (signs for Farm to Market Rd 973)
- Turn right onto Burleson Rd
- Turn right onto Emma Browning Ave
- Installation will be on the left
There are approximately 1,400 reservists and guardsmen, and over 200 full-time soldiers and civilians assigned to Austin Armed Forces Training Center.