MCSF New Orleans
2000 Opelousas Ave., New Orleans, LA 70146
MCSF New Orleans is a United States military facility. The 29-acre compound was found in June 2011 in a historic neighborhood of Algiers, a suburb of the City of New Orleans. The main building, Lt. Col. Joseph J. McCarthy, contains all administrative and support functions for all of the tenant commands under the lead of the Commanding Officer Colonel Derrick R. Heyl.
The closest major airport is Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY / KMSY). This airport is 18.1 miles from base.
Directions from Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport:
Get on I-10 E in 4 from Bainbridge St and Veterans Blvd/Veterans Memorial Blvd
Continue on I-10 E to New Orleans.
Take Exit 232 from I-10 E
Get on US-90 BUS W from Earhart Blvd.
Continue on US-90 BUS W to LA-428 N/General De Gaulle Dr.
Take Exit 9B from US-90 BUS W
Take L B Landry Ave to Opelousas Ave
Parking at the Facility is limited and restricted. All visitors and check-ins must park on the first deck of the parking garage (entrances on O’Bannon St. and Sanctuary Dr.) and route through the Visitor’s Center on the southeast side of the installation.
As a new arrival, you will not be able to access or park inside the facility (unless previously coordinated). All access to the facility is controlled and requires a pass. After parking your vehicle, please proceed to the Visitor’s Center (indicated above) to receive your visitor’s pass. Once you have your pass, please proceed to the first floor of the McCarthy building to begin your check-in process.
All personnel checking in during normal working hours will first check in with their respective MSC G-1 in order to receive a reporting endorsement. Then the member and sponsor will come down to the IPAC to complete their audit, be issued a check-in sheet, and start the check-in process. It is highly recommended that you immediately get your permanent personnel Common Access Badge (CAB) from the Security Management Office. This badge will give you access to the facility, the building and specified work spaces.
Members arriving after working hours or on non-work days must contact the OOD and/or DNCO and arrange to meet up with one of those individuals on duty to get their orders and the duty logbook annotated with the date and time of the member’s arrival. Service members arriving between 1700 – 2200 will be assigned a barracks room by the Barracks 562 Front Desk Staff (504) 678-7054. For those arriving after 2200, there is on-base lodging available at the Navy Gateway Inn & Suites (504) 678-3419 aboard NASJRB Belle Chasse. If NGIS is unavailable, the Federal City Inn (504) 366-7408 as well as numerous other local hotels are options for temporary lodging. Ensure you receive receipts from any hotels in the local area – the receipt will be used to receive a statement of non-availability from the HQBN S-4 Enlisted Barracks Manager, if required.
Marines reporting in for duty during working hours should be in the Service “A” uniform.
TRICARE Information and News
For a full list of community health centers, visit the Health Center Program at https://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/.
Check the US News Health directory online at https://health.usnews.com/doctors/search to find the best doctor for your family.
The American Dental Association provides a list of dentists near you on their website https://findadentist.ada.org/.
FOR THE CHILDREN
To be enrolled in a New Orleans area school, students must be between the age of 4 and 6. Minimum age for kindergarten entrance is 4 years 7 months before the first day of the school year. All children must attend kindergarten before age 7.
In 2010, the majority of states, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity adopted Common Core State Standards that provide a consistent set of educational expectations for students, regardless of ZIP code. When a family moves, a student’s education is often disrupted because the student may be forced to repeat material or learn at a different level at the new school. With common standards across states, this disruption will be reduced — of particular interest to military families. For more information, visit http://www.corestandards.org/.
If your child is preparing to attend college, this information on scholarships may be helpful.
FOR THE SERVICE MEMBER
Current service members can attend college in their off-duty time and have their military branch pay the tuition. Learn about the Military Tuition Assistance Program. Use the Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE tool to help you make the best use of your tuition assistance dollars.
If you were or are in the military, you may be eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits. If you are a spouse or dependent, you may be eligible too.
Online course options: edX – Founded by Harvard University and MIT, offers high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere. Whether you are interested in computer science, languages, engineering, psychology, writing, electronics, biology, or marketing. Enroll today!
When moving to a new location, it is important to know who to call when you have an emergency or you need help. Below are some organizations you will find useful.
Under the site’s “Child Care 101” tab you’ll find information related to locating quality child care, the types of child care available to you and how to evaluate the child care providers you visit. There’s also a special section for the military child on the website covering topics such as military fee assistance, payments and provider services.
New Orleans Department of Health (504) 658-4000
The Health Department’s mission is to protect, promote and improve the health of all where we live, learn, work and play.
Department of Children and Family Services (888) 524-3578
DCFS is working to keep children safe, helping individuals and families become self-sufficient, and providing safe refuge during disasters.
Humane Society of New Orleans (504) 322-3938
The mission of the Humane Society of New Orleans shall be to provide the means for the prevention of cruelty to animals, to enforce all laws designated for the protection of animals, to promote responsible pet ownership, to place adoptable animals into responsible homes when available, and to strengthen the human/animal bond.
Louisiana State Police (504) 310-7000
Dental Headquarters (504) 678-7965
Housing Services Office (504) 678-3840
Medical Appointments (504) 678-3660
There is no government housing aboard the facility. There is housing available at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Belle Chasse and at Federal City.
7.3 miles from base
Ridgecrest is in a no flood zone. Neighborhood traffic, there’s one way in and out. Homeowners association restrictions apply. Peaceful and quiet.
5.8 miles from base
A wonderful neighborhood with a great elementary and high school.
Report to Base is the #1 site for vetted, trustworthy realtors, mortgage brokers and home inspectors. Report To Base does all the hard work for you. All you have to do is click and call. Be sure to let our partners know you found them at Report to Base!
In New Orleans, the summers are long, hot, and oppressive; the winters are short, cool, and windy; and it is wet and partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 47°F to 92°F and is rarely below 35°F or above 97°F.
The hot season lasts for 4.1 months, from May 19 to September 22, with an average daily high temperature above 87°F. The hottest day of the year is July 14, with an average high of 92°F and low of 78°F.
The cool season lasts for 2.8 months, from November 29 to February 24, with an average daily high temperature below 69°F. The coldest day of the year is January 8, with an average low of 47°F and high of 63°F.
The wetter season lasts 3.3 months, from June 2 to September 12, with a greater than 40% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 60% on July 29.
The drier season lasts 8.7 months, from September 12 to June 2. The smallest chance of a wet day is 20% on October 30.
In New Orleans, LA, the overall cost of living index is 99, which is 8% higher than the Louisiana average and 1% lower than the U.S. average. The following categories are used to calculate the overall cost of living index: goods/services (33%), housing (30%), groceries (13%), utilities (10%), transportation (9%) and health care (5%). From the list, it is clear that the categories of goods/services and housing are responsible for the largest portions of the overall cost of living index. As a general rule, everyday goods and services provide an accurate measure of the general cost of goods in any given city. In the case of New Orleans, LA, the city’s goods and services are 2% higher than the Louisiana average and 2% lower than the U.S. average.
MCSF New Orleans is located in New Orleans, LA. The city’s infectious spirit is sure to invigorate, captivate and motivate you to jump in and see and do so much. With so many options and many things to do all the time, narrowing the playing field can be a challenge.
New Orleans is a Louisiana city on the Mississippi River, near the Gulf of Mexico. Nicknamed the “Big Easy,” it’s known for its round-the-clock nightlife, vibrant live-music scene and spicy, singular cuisine reflecting its history as a melting pot of French, African and American cultures. Embodying its festive spirit is Mardi Gras, the late-winter carnival famed for raucous costumed parades and street parties.
Join our community
Receive great PCS tips and additional resources