US Coast Guard Station St. Petersburg
ANT St. Petersburg
Sector St. Petersburg
600 8th Ave. SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
US Coast Guard Station St. Petersburg, located on Tampa Bay in downtown St. Pete, is responsible for patrolling 370 nautical miles of the Florida coastline. It oversees the nation’s third largest port for domestic trade. The primary operational missions are search and rescue; maritime homeland security; law enforcement (covering drug and alien smuggling, marine regs and boating safety); and waterways management. Just in rescues alone, the Coast Guard averages about 2,600 calls yearly, assisting more than 7,000 people. The sprawling Coast Guard complex also has historical significance for the city. Built in the 1920s, many of the original offices are still standing. A WPA-commissioned mural from the 1930s that extends along four walls of an office has been recognized by the Florida State Division of Historical Resources and the WPA Arts Committee.
Station St. Petersburg is home to Sector St. Petersburg and is part of US Coast Guard District Seven.
Coast Guard Base St. Petersburg was commissioned on the north side of Bayboro Harbor in 1924. Sixteen cutters ranging from 75 to 125 feet were stationed here for the purpose of conducting anti-smuggling patrols. The base was decommissioned in 1933 to coincide with the lifting of Prohibition.
The Coast Guard commissioned a station on the south side of Bayboro Harbor in 1928 and an air station was commissioned on the north side just six years later. The air station was constructed by the Works Projects Administration and was home to as many as 19 sea and scout planes during the height of World War II. The hangar and oversized boat ramp are examples of the facilities that remain from the original air station.
When Air Station St. Petersburg relocated to Clearwater in 1976, Group/Station St. Petersburg moved into the vacated facilities on the north side of the harbor. The south side was converted into cutter moorings for aids to navigation tenders and medium endurance cutters. Group/Station St. Petersburg now encompassed both the north and south side of Bayboro Harbor totaling more than 22 acres. In 1997, the facility underwent a reorganization that defined Sector St. Petersburg as the host command, responsible for the entire facility.
Sector St. Petersburg has become one of the Coast Guard’s largest commands, with an area of responsibility encompassing over 400 nautical miles of coastline along Florida’s west coast and the third largest U.S. port for domestic trade. In terms of total trade volume, including both domestic and foreign, the Port of Tampa ranks 12th nationally. The Sector’s five multi-mission small boat stations, six patrol boats, two aids to navigation cutters, and one aids to navigation team have responsibility for five primary operational missions: Search and Rescue; Marine Safety; Maritime Law Enforcement; Ports, Waterways, and Coastal Security; and Living Marine Resources. Each year Sector St. Petersburg personnel conduct, on average, more than 2600 rescue cases, assisting more than 7000 people and preserving property valued at 39 million dollars.
Arriving at US Coast Guard Station St. Petersburg
The nearest major airport is St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE / KPIE). This airport has domestic flights and is 13 miles from the center of Saint Petersburg, FL.
Another major airport is Tampa International Airport (TPA / KTPA), which has international and domestic flights from Tampa, Florida and is 22 miles from Saint Petersburg, FL.
Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ / KSRQ) has domestic flights from Sarasota, Florida and is 33 miles from Saint Petersburg, FL.
The integrated Coast Guard team that carries out the sector’s operational missions is comprised of over 825 Active Duty and Reserve Military Members, 27 Civilian and 1800 Auxiliary personnel.