Coast Guard Station Galveston
3000 Fort Point Rd, Galveston, TX 77550
U.S. Coast Guard Sector Houston-Galveston supports a wide range of Coast Guard operations to include marine environmental protection, aids to navigation, ports, waterways, law enforcement, and search and rescue. The Coast Guard began it’s service to the Galveston Bay area in the year 1878, when the United States Government acquired a lot upon which was erected a lifeboat station on Pelican Island. Joseph W. Simmons was appointed the first Lifesaving Station #217 keeper on 24 November 1888. The station was destroyed by the Hurricane of 1900. The new station was torn down and rebuilt in 1909. The station was once again destroyed in the great hurricane of 1915. Then station was relocated to the old immigration station on Pelican Island. Attached to the station were two 32-foot picket boats used for anti-smuggling patrols, a lifeboat, a surfboat, a power dory, and a 46-foot launch. The station remained on Pelican island until it was moved to it’s current location at Fort Point in 1938. After being attached to Group Galveston for over 26 years, Station Galveston became an independent unit with a command of its own in 1994.
Arriving at Galveston The closest airport is the George Bush Intercontinental Airport located 73 miles from base.
The overall population in Galveston, Texas is 50,497