US Coast Guard 7th District Miami
US Coast Guard 7th District is the most operationally intense and diverse district in the service – always full of challenges and rewards. In addition to District 7, South Florida is home to a large Coast Guard population: Sector Miami, Base Miami Beach, CEU Miami, AIRSTA Miami and several cutters and stations.
The 7th Coast Guard District is located in the Brickell Plaza Federal Building, Miami, FL.
See the D7 site at https://www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/District-7/ for a map and directions to BPFB.
Parking is available within the building, however, traffic in the BPFB area and downtown Miami can be challenging due to the many high-rise condos, shops and restaurants in the immediate area. Car-pooling and mass transit commuting is highly encouraged and subsidized. For Mass Transit benefits information, please contact SN Clinton Carpenter, Base Miami Beach at (305) 535-4498.
The closest major airport to Miami International Airport is Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL / KFLL). This airport is in Fort Lauderdale and is 37 miles from Miami. If you’re looking for international or domestic flights to FLL, check the airlines that fly to FLL.
TRICARE Information and News
For a full list of community health centers, visit the Health Center Program at https://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/.
Check the US News Health directory online at https://health.usnews.com/doctors/search to find the best doctor for your family.
The American Dental Association provides a list of dentists near you on their website https://findadentist.ada.org/.
FOR THE CHILDREN
In Miami, students must be 5 years old on or before September 1st. Kindergarten is not mandatory. Compulsory school age is 6 years old. Early entry rules are not specified in the state statute. Kindergarten assessment screenings are required within the first 30 days of each school year.
In 2010, the majority of states, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity adopted Common Core State Standards that provide a consistent set of educational expectations for students, regardless of ZIP code. When a family moves, a student’s education is often disrupted because the student may be forced to repeat material or learn at a different level at the new school. With common standards across states, this disruption will be reduced — of particular interest to military families. For more information, visit http://www.corestandards.org/.
If your child is preparing to attend college, this information on scholarships may be helpful.
FOR THE SERVICE MEMBER
Current service members can attend college in their off-duty time and have their military branch pay the tuition. Learn about the Military Tuition Assistance Program. Use the Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE tool to help you make the best use of your tuition assistance dollars.
If you were or are in the military, you may be eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits. If you are a spouse or dependent, you may be eligible too.
Online course options: edX – Founded by Harvard University and MIT, offers high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere. Whether you are interested in computer science, languages, engineering, psychology, writing, electronics, biology, or marketing. Enroll today!
When moving to a new location, it is important to know who to call when you have an emergency or you need help. Below are some organizations you will find useful.
Under the site’s “Child Care 101” tab you’ll find information related to locating quality child care, the types of child care available to you and how to evaluate the child care providers you visit. There’s also a special section for the military child on the website covering topics such as military fee assistance, payments and provider services.
Miami-Dade Department of Health (305) 324-2400
Our mission is to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
Florida Department of Children and Families (866) 762-2237
Humane Society of Greater Miami (305) 696-0800
The Humane Society of Greater Miami has been helping homeless animals in Miami-Dade County since 1936. Today, more than 400 homeless dogs, cats, puppies and kittens each day are cared for at the Soffer and Fine Adoption Center in North Miami Beach.
Florida Highway Patrol Miami (305) 234-2240
Base Operator (305) 535-4313
There is no family government housing in South Florida, although there is limited unaccompanied housing for E-5 and below.
Regardless, ALL incoming personnel must have a non-availability statement prior to executing orders.
All members are required to submit an Application for Assignment to Housing (DD Form 1746, SEP 1993; use EMPLID instead of SSN) to the Local Housing Authority (LHA) after receipt of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.
Submit and email the signed DD-1746, your BAH/Dependency Data form (CG-4170A), and a copy of your PCS orders to the Base Miami Beach Housing Office.
Your documents will be reviewed and a Status of Housing Availability (DD Form 1747) will be emailed back to you indicating either assignment to or release from
Weston – Weston, FL
Great schools from elementary to high school. There is also lots of sports in Weston – from little league, football, cheering, lacrosse, soccer. The YMCA is a great facility. Also, Weston is only 20-25 minutes from the airport and the beach.
Coconut Grove – Miami, FL
There’s a lot of charm packed into this seaside village. Coconut Grove is Miami’s oldest neighborhood – living here will make you forget you’re even in the Magic City. Roaming peacocks, massive aged oak trees, and plenty of parks – this part of Dade County is one of the most peaceful. Coconut Grove has great schools, gorgeous single family homes, a budding restaurant and arts scene — and low crime rates. Compared to other areas, it’s also pretty walkable and bike friendly.
Report to Base is the #1 site for vetted, trustworthy realtors, mortgage brokers and home inspectors. Report To Base does all the hard work for you. All you have to do is click and call. Be sure to let our partners know you found them at Report to Base!
In Miami, the summers are hot, oppressive, wet, and mostly cloudy and the winters are comfortable, humid, windy, and mostly clear. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 62°F to 90°F and is rarely below 50°F or above 92°F.
The hot season lasts for 3.8 months, from June 5 to September 30, with an average daily high temperature above 87°F. The hottest day of the year is August 9, with an average high of 90°F and low of 79°F. The cool season lasts for 3.0 months, from December 6 to March 6, with an average daily high temperature below 78°F. The coldest day of the year is January 17, with an average low of 62°F and high of 76.
The wetter season lasts 4.7 months, from May 22 to October 14, with a greater than 38% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 62% on August 24. The drier season lasts 7.3 months, from October 14 to May 22. The smallest chance of a wet day is 15% on January 31.
The overall cost of living index in Miami, FL is 109, which is 10% higher than the Florida average and 9% higher than the national average. The cost of living index is created from the following categories: goods/services (33%), groceries (13%), health care (5%), housing (30%), transportation (9%) and utilities (10%). As you can see, goods/services and housing make up the majority of the overall cost of living index. Everyday goods and services can be a good indicator of the general cost of goods in a given city. In this case, the goods and services in Miami, FL are 3% higher than the Florida average and 1% higher than the national average.
Miami has plenty of recreational opportunities available to you. No visit to Miami can be considered complete without a stop at South Beach – the quintessential Miami hot spot. From shopping to partying, this area of Miami Beach is well-known for being a trendy locale. Depending on your personal tastes, you might enjoy spending a full weekend touring South Beach, stay at one of the best hotels in South Beach, take a South Beach walking tour, explore the Art Deco architecture of the area or party all night with the Miami Beach nightlife.
With 1.5 million acres of swamps, saw-grass prairies, and sub-tropical jungles, Everglades National Park is one of the most unusual public parks in the United States. Located on the southern tip of Florida, the park is home to 14 rare and endangered species – including the American Crocodile, the Florida Panther, and the West Indian Manatee. A significant portion of the park is primitive, explored only by adventurists and researchers, but visitors have ample opportunity to walk, camp and canoe.
Zoo Miami is fast becoming one of the best zoos in the nation, and it probably stands out from other zoos you’ve been to—the exhibits here are entirely cage-free – making it one of the first free-range zoos in the country. Miami’s climate allows it to keep a wide variety of animals from Asia, Australia, and Africa – like no other zoo in the country. Animals are grouped according to their geographic territory, and animals that live together peacefully in the wild are placed in exhibits together.
The Miami Seaquarium is located right in the middle of the tourist area on the causeway between downtown Miami and Key Biscayne. You’ll want to spend at least a half-day at this one-of-a-kind outdoor aquarium, which is home to dolphins, sea turtles, manatees and more.
Join our community
Receive great PCS tips and additional resources