Fort Pickett Army Base
Virginia Army National Guard
Building 472 Military Rd, Blackstone, VA 23824
Fort Pickett is a Virginia Army National Guard installation, located near the town of Blackstone, Virginia, approximately 40 miles southwest of Richmond. Fort Pickett is home of the Army National Guard Maneuver Training Center, serving soldiers from regional National Guard, active military units from other installations, and soldiers from all branches of military. Fort Pickett’s mission is providing realistic and challenging training, maintaining physical security and force protection of the facility in support of soldier readiness and deployment missions. Fort Pickett strives to support their customers through innovation and partnership while fostering balance. Fort Pickett spans across 42,000 acres of Maneuver areas and contains many state of the art facilities, including a Live Fire Range, a Forward Operation Base, Urban Assault, Training Villages, EST 2000, and several other training facilities.
Today, both Virginia National Guard and Air Guard units occupy the installation and employ hundreds of permanent active duty soldiers, state civilian employees and contractors. The Army National Guard Maneuver Training Center (MTC) Fort Pickett, under the command and control of Virginia Army National Guard Headquarters provides directorate support in logistics; planning, training and security; public works; and personnel, morale, welfare, recreation and community activities.
Arriving at Fort Pickett
The closest airport is Richmond International Airport located, 62.8 miles from base.
Directions from Richmond International Airport:
- Head east on Richard E Byrd Terminal Dr, then keep left to stay on Richard E Byrd Terminal Dr
- Slight right onto S Airport Dr, then turn left toward S Airport Dr
- Turn left onto S Airport Dr, then keep right at the fork, follow signs for VA-895 W/Interstate 95 and merge onto VA-895 W
- Merge onto VA-895 W
- Use the 2nd from the right lane to continue on VA-150 N
- Take the exit onto I-95 S toward Petersburg
- Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 51 for I-85 S/US-460 W toward Durham/Atlanta and continue onto I-85 S/US-460 W
- Take exit 61 for US-460 W toward Blackstone/Lynchburg
- Turn right onto US-460 W (signs for Blackstone)
- Turn left onto US-460 BUS W
- Turn left onto Military Rd
There are Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, military families, DoD personnel, civilians, and retirees assigned to Fort Pickett.