Camp Frank D Merrill Army Base
5th Ranger Training Battalion
1 Camp Merrill Drive, Dahlonega, GA 30533
Camp Frank D Merrill is located in Dahlonega, Georgia and spans across 290 acres in the Northern Georgia Mountains. Camp Merrill hosts the mountain phase of the U.S. Army Ranger School where tudents learn mountaineering, small unit tactics, patrol infiltration, raids, ambushes, and other skills. The knowledge gained at Camp Merrill is a crucial for survival and operational success because most wars involve mountain terrain. Camp Frank D Merrill operates in conjunction with Fort Benning located near Columbus, Georgia.
All personnel assigned to 5th Ranger Training Battalion must sign in at 5th Ranger Training Battalion S-1 Office. If report date is on a non-duty day, all personnel must sign in at 5th Ranger Training Battalion Study Duty desk and report the next duty date. If permitted, after remote unit in-processing, personnel will be authorized PTDY for the purpose of house hunting.
1. Ensure to bring all documents listed below to in-process the Battalion.
a. Two copies of orders assigning you to Fort Benning
b. Two copies of orders assigning you to 5th Ranger Training Battalion
c. Two copies of your NCOER/OER, if applicable
d. Education Records, if applicable
e. Medical and Dental Records
f. Copy of DA Form 348 (Military Driver’s License) and DDC Card
g. One copy of your jump log if applicable, and Airborne Course Certificate.
h. DA Form 31
2. Specific questions or information can be obtained from Battalion S-1 before departing for 5th Ranger Training Battalion at 706-864-3327 ext. 5210
Directions from Atlanta
- Take GA Hwy 400 North (Dahlonega). You will go approximately 50 miles and pass through four traffic lights and the city of Dawsonville.
- Ten miles past Dawsonville, you will come to the four way intersection of GA Hwy 400 and GA Hwy 60. Follow the sign to North Georgia College and State University and take a left onto GA Hwy 60.
- Five miles on GA Hwy 60, you will come into Dahlonega. Go past the intersection of 52 By-Pass and GA Hwy 60 and you will pass the college to the left and come into the town square.
- Take a right at the town square onto North Main ST.
- At the first traffic light take a left onto Hwy 19N.
- Approximately 2.2 miles on Hwy 19N, you will see a small brown sign on the right that says Camp Frank D. Merrill with an arrow pointing left.
- Take a left onto Camp Wahsega Road and follow all the way (8.4 miles) into camp.
- Report to the BN Headquarters, which is the third building on the left past the PX and BEQs.
There are over 250 Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, military family members, and civilian employees assigned to Camp Frank D Merrill.