Army Star

Camp Mackall Army Base

XVIII Airborne Corps
Special Forces Way, Camp Mackall, Hoffman, NC 28347

Weather/Climate
In Southern Pines, the summers are hot and muggy, the winters are short and very cold, and it is wet and partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 33°F to 90°F and is rarely below 19°F or above 96°F.

 

The hot season lasts for 3.7 months, from May 25 to September 15, with an average daily high temperature above 82°F. The hottest day of the year is July 19, with an average high of 90°F and low of 71°F. The cool season lasts for 3.0 months, from November 30 to February 27, with an average daily high temperature below 59°F. The coldest day of the year is January 29, with an average low of 33°F and high of 52°F.

 

The wetter season lasts 3.4 months, from May 21 to September 3, with a greater than 33% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 48% on July 16. The drier season lasts 8.6 months, from September 3 to May 21. The smallest chance of a wet day is 19% on October 30.

Fayetteville, NC
Southern Pines

Cost of Living
The overall cost of living in Southern Pines, NC is 9% higher than the North Carolina average and 3% higher than the U.S. average. The following categories are used to calculate the overall cost of living index: goods/services (33%), housing (30%), groceries (13%), utilities (10%), transportation (9%) and health care (5%). From the list, it is clear that the categories of goods/services and housing are responsible for the largest portions of the overall cost of living index. As a general rule, everyday goods and services provide an accurate measure of the general cost of goods in any given city. In the case of Southern Pines, NC, the city’s goods and services are 8% lower than the North Carolina average and 10% lower than the U.S. average.

Getting to Know the Area

Camp Mackall is located near the city of Southern Pines, near Fayetteville, NC. Fayetteville has a rich history and military background, with many museums and monuments dedicated to service members, such as the Airborne and Special Operations Museum and JFK Special Warfare Museum. Fayetteville is a vibrant and modern city that hosts live music nights, night clubs, fine dining restaurants, art galleries, and upscale shopping areas. There are also several beautiful parks, trails, and playgrounds.

 

Fort Bragg has two large commissaries, two large PX’s, two smaller shopping centers with banks, dry cleaning, fast food options and dine-in restaurants. Throughout the base are gas stations, convenience stores, auto repair shops, movie theaters, skating rink, bowling alley, golf courses, a library, gyms, pools and tennis courts. Additionally, there are a number of outdoor activities to enjoy, such as horseback riding, camping, fishing and hunting.

 

Some points of interest include Reservoir Park, Camelot Playground, Pinehurst Harness Track, Rassie Wicker Park, Cape Fear River Trail, Cavers Creek State Park, Cameo Art House Theater, Arnette Park, Fayetteville Area Transportation and History Museum, Campbellton Landing, Cape Fear Botanical Garden and Milton E. Mazarick Park.

Events

Check out these websites for a list of all of the great events going on in the area.  

PurchaseTix
Fayetteville Park
Fayetteville Museum
Cape Fear