Letterkenny Army Depot
U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command
1 Overcash Ave, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD) is a United States Army facility located in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania in Franklin County. The facility spans across 18,000 acres and is used to conduct maintenance, modification, storage, and demilitarization operations on tactical missiles and ammunition. Letterkenny has unique tactical missile repair capabilities for repairing a variety of Department of Defense (DoD) missile systems, including the MIM-104 PATRIOT missile and its ground support and radar equipment. Letterkenny expanded its product line to include designation of the CITE for Power Generation for the Army, the overhaul of tactical wheeled vehicles (HMMWVs), material handling equipment (7.5-ton cranes), and Mobile Kitchen Trailers. In 2007, during the Iraq conflict, Letterkenny began building new Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) armored vehicles in partnership with BAE Systems, and in 2010 was designated the Joint Depot Source of Repair (JDSOR) for Route Clearance Vehicles for the DoD.
Arriving at Letterkenny Army Depot
The closest airport is Harrisburg International Airport located 64.6 miles from base.
Directions from Harrisburg International Airport to Headquarters:
- Follow access road from Airport to I-283.
- Take I-283 North toward Harrisburg. Watch for exit to PA Turnpike.
- Take PA Turnpike West toward Pittsburgh.
- Travel PA Turnpike West and exit at Carlisle-(Exit 226) staying toward left at toll plaza.
- Follow signs to I-81 by taking Route 11 North about 2 miles to the I-81 interchange.
- Travel I-81 South to (Scotland) Exit 20. This exit brings you around to the right to a traffic signal in front of McDonalds.
- Turn right onto PA 997 North and travel approximately 4 miles to a traffic signal the intersection of Rt. 997 and Rt. 11. (Sheetz convenience store on right.)
- Travel straight and continue on Rt. 997, 1 mile to the next light.
- Depart Rt. 997 and continue straight (slight left bend) into Letterkenny onto Coffey Avenue.
- Take left at red light onto Advantage Avenue. Go two blocks passing buildings 11, 12 and 13 on your left and turn left on Wisconsin Avenue and proceed to security gate.
For military personnel reporting for in-processing at Letterkenny Army Depot, soldiers must check in with their respective units. All newcomers will be scheduled for arrival meetings, and spouses are encouraged to attend the Right Start meetings as well. Bring all personnel records including medical and dental as well as copies of your orders and any military transportation requests. For more information regarding specific in-processing procedures or ID cards, call the office at Letterkenny Army Depot at (717) 267-8751.
There are Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, military families, DoD personnel, civilians, and retirees assigned to Letterkenny Army Depot.