Fort Lee opened within weeks after the United States declared war on Germany in the spring of 1917. By September more than 1,500 buildings and over 15 miles of on-post roads had been completed. Soon members of the 80th “Blue Ridge” Division – made up of troops from Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia – began arriving for training.
Fort Lee, in Prince George County, Virginia, is a United States Army post and headquarters of the United States Army Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM)/ Sustainment Center of Excellence (SCoE), the U.S. Army Quartermaster School, the U.S. Army Ordnance School, The U.S. Army Transportation School, the Army Logistics University (ALU), Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA), and the U.S. Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA).
Fort Lee also hosts two Army museums, the U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum and the U.S. Army Women’s Museum.
Camp Lee opened just weeks after the U.S. declared war on Germany in 1917 and has had long term physical improvements underway for over the last half century. It received a major boost when Congress passed Base Realignment and Closure legislation in 2005. As a result of approved recommendations several new organizations are relocating to and/or consolidating their operations on Fort Lee – including the U.S. Army Ordnance Center and School from Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland, and most of the U.S. Army Transportation Center and School from Fort Eustis, Virginia.
The “new” Fort Lee that is emerging as a result of BRAC 2005 is already being hailed as the “lifeblood of Army logistics.”