Fort Jackson Army Base

Chaplain Center and School, Soldier Support Institute, Drill Sergeant School, U.S. Army Basic Training Center of Excellence

9810 Lee Road, Fort Jackson, SC 29207

Army Star


Fort Jackson Army Base is located in the city of Columbia, South Carolina. This installation is named for Andrew Jackson, a United States Army General and seventh President of the United States of America (1829–1837). Fort Jackson spans across more than 52,000 acres of land, including 100 ranges and field training sites and more than 1,000 buildings.

Fort Jackson Army Base is the largest and most active Initial Entry training Center in the U.S. Army, training 34 percent of all Soldiers and 69 percent of the women entering the Army each year. Providing the Army with trained, disciplined, motivated and physically fit warriors who espouse the Army’s core values and are focused on teamwork is the post’s primary mission. That means training is in excess of 45,000 basic training and advanced individual training Soldiers every year. In addition, Fort Jackson has become a significant site of professional development for the Soldier Support Institute (SSI) including the U.S. Army Adjutant General School, Finance School, and the Institute’s Non-commissioned Officers Academy.

There are over 135,100 Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, Training Soldiers, military families, DoD personnel, students, civilians, and retirees assigned to Fort Jackson.



The closest airport is Columbia Metropolitan Airport located 18 miles from base.

Temporary Lodging can be arranged through the IHG Army Hotel Fort Jackson, open 24 hours, 7 days a week. The hotel is located at the intersection of Marion Ave and Benning Road.


All permanent party Soldiers are to report to Room 200, 5450 Strom Thurmond Boulevard, during the hours of operation of 0730-1700, Monday thru Friday. (NOTE: The in-processing office is closed on Federal holidays.) All incoming permanent party Soldiers that report after normal duty hours are to report to the IHG Army Hotel/Welcome Center, located at 7550 Benning Road to sign in to Fort Jackson. Upon checking-in, Soldiers will be provided with the schedule for their One-Stop-In-Processing and Post Newcomer Orientation.


Incoming Department of Army Civilians should report to the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC) located at 5450 Strom Thurmond Blvd, Room 229, on date provided by CPAC.

Army Community Service (ACS) is located at 5450 Strom Thurmond Blvd., Room 120 and can help you and your family get settled in. Please call ACS for more information at 803-751-5256.


All Soldiers must be in uniform to in-process. The duty uniform at Fort Jackson, SC is ACU’s. Be sure that you have enough uniforms with you to begin duty after in-processing.


TRICARE Information and News


For a full list of community health centers, visit the Health Center Program at


Check the US News Health directory online at to find the best doctor for your family.


The American Dental Association provides a list of dentists near you on their website

To be enrolled in a South Carolina school, a child must be at least 5 years old by September 1st. Check with the school for other requirements.

Fort Jackson DOD Schools
Richland County School District One
Richland County School District Two

If your child is preparing to attend college, this information on scholarships may be helpful.

Current servicemembers can attend college in their off-duty time and have their military branch pay the tuition.

Learn about the Military Tuition Assistance Program.
Use the Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE tool to help you make the best use of your tuition assistance dollars.

​If you were or are in the military, you may be eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits. If you are a spouse or dependent, you may be eligible too.

Online course options: edX – Founded by Harvard University and MIT, offers high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere. Whether you are interested in computer science, languages, engineering, psychology, writing, electronics, biology, or marketing. Enroll today!

When moving to a new location, it is important to know who to call when you have an emergency or you need help. Below are some organizations you will find useful.

Child Care Aware:
Under the site’s “Child Care 101” tab you’ll find information related to locating quality child care, the types of child care available to you and how to evaluate the child care providers you visit.

There’s also a special section for the military child on the website covering topics such as military fee assistance, payments and provider services.

Military Children and Teens Resource Guide

South Carolina Department of Social Services
The Department’s mission is to serve South Carolina by promoting the safety, permanency, and well-being of children and vulnerable adults, helping individuals achieve stability and strengthening families.

South Carolina Department of Human Services (888) 549-0820

South Carolina Department of Health (803) 898-3432

South Carolina Humane Society (803) 783-1267
The mission of The Humane Society is to end animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation

South Carolina Department of Public Safety

Base Operator (315) 772-6556


Chaplain (803) 751-3121


Civilian Personnel Office (803) 751-3219


Dental Headquarters (803) 751-6213


EFMP Family Support (877) 273-5584


Family Child Care (803) 751-6225


Housing Services Office (803) 751-7566


ID/CAC Card Processing (803) 751-7731


Information and Referral (803) 751-4862


Legal Services and JAG (803) 751-4287


Medical Appointments (877) 273-5584


NAF Human Resources Officer (803) 751-4259


Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273 – 8255


On-base housing at Fort Jackson is privatized and managed by Balfour Beatty Communities. They offer 850 family homes in eight neighborhoods. Two, three and four bedroom homes are available for all ranks, retirees, and civilians. Call (803) 738-8275 for more information.

4 mileis from BaseReflections

is a quiet and safe gated community in Columbia, SC with many different housing options. The community offers a swimming pool, clubhouse, tennis court, dog park, and lakes.

Spring Valley
6.6 miles from Base
Spring Valley is a quiet and safe gated community in Columbia, SC with a Country Club and golf course.

Submit information about your neighborhood

We vet for Vets

Report To Base is the #1 site for vetted military friendly realtors that work with active duty, are well versed in VA purchases and virtual tours. We feature mortgage brokers who specialize in VA loans with competitive rates so you do not have to shop for low rates we do it for you. All our home inspectors are VA friendly and are backed by our community. At Report To Base we do all the work for you. All you have to do is click and call.

Be sure to let our partners know you found them at Report to Base!


In Columbia, the summers are hot and muggy, the winters are cold, and it is wet and partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 36°F to 92°F and is rarely below 23°F or above 98°F.

The hot season lasts for 3.7 months, from May 24 to September 15, with an average daily high temperature above 85°F. The hottest day of the year is July 20, with an average high of 92°F and low of 73°F. The cool season lasts for 3.0 months, from November 28 to February 26, with an average daily high temperature below 63°F. The coldest day of the year is January 17, with an average low of 36°F and high of 56°F.

The wetter season lasts 3.0 months, from May 28 to August 29, with a greater than 33% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 48% on July 28. The drier season lasts 9.0 months, from August 29 to May 28. The smallest chance of a wet day is 19% on October 31.

The overall cost of living in Columbia, SC is 5% higher than the South Carolina average and 1% higher than the U.S. average. The following categories are used to calculate the overall cost of living index: goods/services (33%), housing (30%), groceries (13%), utilities (10%), transportation (9%) and health care (5%). From the list, it is clear that the categories of goods/services and housing are responsible for the largest portions of the overall cost of living index. As a general rule, everyday goods and services provide an accurate measure of the general cost of goods in any given city. In the case of Columbia, SC, the city’s goods and services are equal to the South Carolina average and 6% higher than the U.S. average.

Fort Jackson is located in the city of Columbia, the capital of South Carolina. The city is the primary city of the Midlands region of the state. It lies at the confluence of the Saluda River and the Broad River, which merge at Columbia to form the Congaree River. Columbia is home to the University of South Carolina, the state’s flagship university and the largest in the state. Columbia offers fun for all ages with a variety of things to do. Take the kids to a puppet show at the Columbia Marionette Theatre or let them feel the sensation of flight at the EdVenture Children’s Museum where they can sit in the cockpit of a Boeing 757. Sports fans can enjoy college events, minor league baseball games, and participate in marathons. Outdoor enthusiasts can go hiking, boating, fishing, camping, or explore the many parks and gardens in Columbia. In addition, the area has several shopping districts, restaurants, fine dining, and a vibrant night life.

Some points of interest include Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum, City Center/Main Street, The Vista, Lake Murray, and Congaree National Park.

Local Churches