Holston Army Ammunition Plant
U.S. Army Reserve 7244 Medical Support Unit, 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment
4509 West Stone Drive, Kingsport, TN 37660-1048
Holston Army Ammunition Plant is a United States government-owned, contractor-operated facility located in Kingsport, Tennessee. BAE Systems is the current operating contractor. Since 1942, Holston has produced chemical explosives in support of our service members and currently produces explosive fills for every type of ordnance used by the Department of Defense.
Holston is a subordinate installation of the Joint Munitions Command. JMC operates a nationwide network of conventional ammunition manufacturing plants and storage depots, and provides on-site ammunition experts to U.S. combat units wherever they are stationed or deployed. JMC’s customers are U.S. forces of all military services, other U.S. government agencies and allied nations.
The closest airport is Tri-Cities Regional Airport located approximately 20.3 miles from the Ammunition Plant.
Directions from Tri-Cities Regional Airport:
- Head north on Tri toward Airport Circle (0.2 mi)
- Turn left to stay on Tri (0.2 mi)
- Turn right to stay on TRI (0.3 mi)
- Continue on Airport Pkwy/TN-357 (2.3 mi)
- Turn left to merge onto I-81 S toward Knoxville (6.1 mi)
- Take exit 57B for US-23 N/I-181 N toward Kingsport (0.3 mi)
- Merge onto I-26 W/US-23 N (8.0 mi)
- Take exit 1 for W Stone Dr/US 11W (0.3 mi)
- Turn left at W Stone Dr/TN-1/US-11W (2.6 mi)
- Make a U-turn at Lewis Ln – Destination will be on the right (135 ft)
There are over 2,000 Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, military families, civilian contractors, and retirees assigned to Holston Army Ammunition Plant.