Fort Devens Army Base
Army Installation Management Command
31 Quebec Street, Fort Devens, MA 01434-4479
Fort Devens is a United States Army facility located in the towns of Ayer and Shirley, in Middlesex County and Harvard in Worcester County in the state of Massachusetts. The installation spans across 5,000 acres and maintains 25 ranges, 21 training areas, and 15 maneuver areas. It is home to the United States Army Base Camp Systems Integration Laboratory as well as the United States Army System Integration Laboratory. Fort Devens is under the command the Army Installation Management Command (IMCOM) with a significant Army Reserve, Massachusetts Army National Guard and Marine Corps Reserve presence.
As the major Army Reserve presence in New England, Fort Devens provides operational, training and logistic resources to tenant, transient training and stationed units and area customers, provides standardized, effective and efficient services, facilities, infrastructure and quality of life to Soldiers, Family Members, Retirees and Civilian Employees as applicable to support the training, readiness and operational capability for all components and branches of the joint force, accomplished through responsible execution of funds and effective conservation of natural resources.
The closest airport is Logan International Airport located 51.1 miles from base.
The best way to get from Logan Airport to Devens is by limousine service. Travel time is one hour during non rush-hour times, more during rush-hour (7:00 – 9:00 a.m.) and (4;00 – 6:00 p.m). Delays are not uncommon to and from Logan Airport. Reservations should be made at least 2 days in advance of arrival. The cost will be reimbursed to you when you file your travel voucher at your servicing Finance and Accounting Office, but only if you have a receipt.
If possible, avoid using commercial taxis, which will cost you up to $70.00 from Logan Airport to Devens. This cost may not be fully reimbursed by the government. Always ask for and receive a receipt in order to be reimbursed for your official travel.
Knights Limo, 1-800-822-5456 Cost: call for current prices Comments: door to door service
First Choice Limo , 1-800-370-LIMO Cost: call for current prices Comments: door to door service.
Directions from Logan Airport to Fort Devens via Interstate 93 North:
- Follow signs to Sumner Tunnel. After toll booth ($2.00), stay in left lane through the tunnel, bear left on Interstate 93 North.
- Stay on Interstate 93 North for approximately 10 miles.
- Exit on to Interstate 95 South (Waltham exit).
- Stay on Interstate 95 South for about 7-8 miles, exit to Route 2 West.
- Stay on Route 2 West for approximately 23 miles (you will pass a rotary or traffic circle as you continue on Route 2 West).
- Continue on 2 West and pass under Interstate 495. Once you pass under I-495 you are fifteen minutes away from Devens, Exit 37B, Jackson Road, Devens.
- Take first right off Jackson Road.
- Left at first intersection
- First right to the MP gate for ID check
Directions from Logan Airport using the subway, then train
- Take the Airport Courtesy Shuttle to the Blue Line Station, Blue Line to State Street
- Transfer to Orange Line to North Station, Boston, cost is approximately 85 cents.
- Take the train from North Station to the town of Ayer. Cost is approximately $6.00.
- Taxi from Ayer train station to Devens is approximately $6.00. A taxi stand is located one block from the train station on Main Street, Ayer.
Ayer Town Taxi 978-772-7220
Soldiers reporting for in-processing at Fort Devens should check in at the Fort Devens Welcome Center located at 61 Quebec Street, Building 683. The hours of operation of the Welcome Center are Monday through Friday from 0630-1600. In-processing generally takes several days to complete, and soldiers should bring their medical and dental records as well as a leave form and any financial paperwork. Military personnel must be in uniform to complete in-processing. For more information regarding specific procedures, call 978-796-3023 or DSN 256-3023.
100,000 Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, family members, civilians, and retirees