Blue Grass Army Depot

Blue Grass Chemical Activity

431 Battlefield Memorial Hwy, Richmond, KY 40475

Army Star

ABOUT

Blue Grass Army Depot (BGAD) is a United States Army storage facility for conventional munitions and chemical weapons. The facility is located in east central Kentucky, southeast of the cities of Lexington and Richmond, Kentucky. BGAD spans across 14,494 acres and is composed mainly of open fields and wooded areas used for munitions storage, repair of general supplies, and the disposal of munitions.

 

BGAD’s prime mission is to receive, store, issue, maintain, renovate and demilitarize both conventional and non-standard ammunition for all DOD services. They support the Joint Warfighter by safely providing a full range of high quality Defense products and services. BGAD is also the Army’s sole source provider of non-standard ammunition for Special Operation Forces.

1,160 active duty, Guard, Reserve, civilian and DoD employees.

Previous
Next

ARRIVAL

The closest airport to BGAD is Louisville International Airport located 110 miles from base.
 

Directions from Louisville International Airport:

 
 
  • Head southwest on Terminal Dr
  • Take the ramp onto I-264 E
  • Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 19A to merge onto I-64 E toward Lexington
  • Keep right at the fork to continue on I-75 S
  • Take exit 83 for Duncannon Lane toward US-25/Richmond/KY 2872
  • Turn left onto Duncannon Ln
  • Turn right onto US-25 S/US-421 S/Berea Rd
  • Slight left onto US-421 S
  • Blue Grass Army Depot is on the left

Resources

TRICARE Information and News

 

For a full list of community health centers, visit the Health Center Program at https://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/.

 

Check the US News Health directory online at https://health.usnews.com/doctors/search to find the best doctor for your family.

 

The American Dental Association provides a list of dentists near you on their website https://findadentist.ada.org/.

FOR THE CHILDREN
To be enrolled in a Kentucky school, a child must be at least 5 years old before or on August 1st of the school year. Check with the school for other requirements.

In 2010, the majority of states, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity adopted Common Core State Standards that provide a consistent set of educational expectations for students, regardless of ZIP code. When a family moves, a student’s education is often disrupted because the student may be forced to repeat material or learn at a different level at the new school. With common standards across states, this disruption will be reduced — of particular interest to military families. For more information, visit www.corestandards.org

Madison County School District

If your child is preparing to attend college, this information on scholarships may be helpful.

FOR THE SERVICE MEMBER
Current service members can attend college in their off-duty time and have their military branch pay the tuition.

Learn about the Military Tuition Assistance Program.
Use the Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE tool to help you make the best use of your tuition assistance dollars.

​If you were or are in the military, you may be eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits. If you are a spouse or dependent, you may be eligible too.

Online course options: edX – Founded by Harvard University and MIT, offers high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere. Whether you are interested in computer science, languages, engineering, psychology, writing, electronics, biology, or marketing. Enroll today!

When moving to a new location, it is important to know who to call when you have an emergency or you need help. Below are some organizations you will find useful.

Child Care Aware:

Under the site’s “Child Care 101” tab you’ll find information related to locating quality child care, the types of child care available to you and how to evaluate the child care providers you visit.
There’s also a special section for the military child on the website covering topics such as military fee assistance, payments and provider services.

Military Children and Teens Resource Guide

Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (800) 372-2973

Madison County Humane Society (859) 626-5600

Madison County Sheriff Department (859) 623-1511

ID/CAC Card Processing (859) 779-6590

Housing

On-Post housing is not available for Blue Grass Army Depot.

Irvine
22 miles from base

Irvine is a small town in Kentucky where many military families live. There are many different housing options available.

Berea
9.9 miles from base

Berea is a small town in Kentucky where many military families live. It is also a college town and has many different housing options available.

Submit information about your neighborhood

We vet for Vets

Report To Base is the #1 site for vetted military friendly realtors that work with active duty, are well versed in VA purchases and virtual tours. We feature mortgage brokers who specialize in VA loans with competitive rates so you do not have to shop for low rates we do it for you. All our home inspectors are VA friendly and are backed by our community. At Report To Base we do all the work for you. All you have to do is click and call.

Be sure to let our partners know you found them at Report to Base!

Community

In Richmond, the summers are warm and humid and the winters are short, very cold, and wet. It is partly cloudy year round and over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 28°F to 86°F and is rarely below 11°F or above 93°F.

The hot season lasts for 3.8 months, from May 28 to September 22, with an average daily high temperature above 77°F. The hottest day of the year is July 20, with an average high of 86°F and low of 68°F. The cold season lasts for 2.9 months, from December 1 to February 26, with an average daily high temperature below 51°F. The coldest day of the year is January 29, with an average low of 28°F and high of 43°F.

The wetter season lasts 5.0 months, from March 19 to August 17, with a greater than 33% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 43% on May 28. The drier season lasts 7.0 months, from August 17 to March 19. The smallest chance of a wet day is 24% on October 17

The cost of living in Richmond, KY is 1% higher than the average in Kentucky and compared to the national average it is 10% lower. The cost of living index is made up of several categories. These include transportation at 9%, utilities at 10%, goods and services at 33%, housing at 30%, groceries at 13%, and health care at 5%. The bulk of the cost of living index comes from the categories of goods and services and housing. Everyday goods and services can be a good indicator of the general costs of goods in a particular city. In Richmond, goods and services are 2% higher than the average in Kentucky and are 2% higher than the national average.

Richmond, Kentucky is located in the Blue Grass region just south of Lexington. There are several historical sites and museums to explore and learn about its rich history. Richmond also has many restaurants, shopping areas, and outdoor activities to enjoy.

Some points of interest include Battle of Richmond Battlefield Park, Downtown Richmond, Boone’s Trace National Golf Course, Raven Run Nature Sanctuary, and Kentucky Horse Park.

Local Churches