Shaw Air Force Base
20th Fighter Wing
411 Polifka Dr, Shaw AFB, SC 29152
Shaw Air Force Base is a United States Air Force base located approximately 8 miles from downtown Sumter, South Carolina and 40 miles from Columbia, South Carolina. It is under the jurisdiction of the United States Air Force Air Combat Command (ACC).
It is one of the largest military bases operated by the United States, and is one of only two air bases in CONUS with an active railroad line. Today, Shaw Air Force Base is the home of the 9th Air Force Headquarters and the 20th Fighter Wing and is the largest combat F-16 fighting wing.
Shaw Air Force Base is one of the oldest bases in the United States and the mission of the 20th Fighter Wing’s is to provide combat ready air-power and airmen to meet any challenge, anytime, anywhere.
The closest airport is Columbia Metropolitan Airport, located 42.8 miles from base.
Directions from Columbia Metropolitan Airport:
Get on I-26 E in Cayce from Airport Blvd, Columbia Airport Expy and SC-302/Airport Blvd.
Take I-77 N to SC-768 E/Shop Rd in Columbia. Take exit 6A from I-77 N
Follow SC-768 E to US-378 E/US-76 E
Follow US-378 E/US-76 E to Shaw Dr in Sumter County. Exit from US-378 E/US-76 E
Follow Shaw Dr, Lance Ave and Killian Ave to Shaw Dr in Shaw Air Force Base
When arriving at Shaw during normal duty hours, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, report directly to your gaining unit’s commander’s support staff. Arriving during non-duty hours report to the 24-hour base lodging office located at 464 Myers St., (803) 895-3803 and on the next duty day report to your gaining unit. If you do not know where your unit is located report to the Military Personnel Flight, 504 Shaw Dr., between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Report to in-processing in uniform. Bring several copies of your orders and all hand-carried records you received from your previous base. Your records will be reviewed and you will complete your formal in processing and be scheduled for your Right Start appointments.
Your new commander may authorize permissive house hunting once you sign in. If you require further information about signing in or leave, contact your gaining squadron’s commander’s support staff or the Military Personnel Flight.
The following items are required for finance processing. If you took a travel advance, including: dislocation allowance, travel pay and per diem for authorized travel days, make sure you have receipts or pay records. Plane tickets purchased also require a receipt. Government-issued tickets are also required along with five copies of PCS orders. Receipts are required for expenses incurred of more then $25 (i.e. taxi, lodging, tolls, and traveler’s checks). While en route, annotate locations, dates of departure, and arrival times to make filling out vouchers easier.
TRICARE Information and News
For a full list of community health centers, visit the Health Center Program at https://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/.
Check the US News Health directory online at https://health.usnews.com/doctors/search to find the best doctor for your family.
The American Dental Association provides a list of dentists near you on their website https://findadentist.ada.org/.
FOR THE CHILDREN
To be enrolled in a South Carolina school, a child must be at least 5 years old on or before September 1st of the school year. Check with the school for other requirements.
In 2010, the majority of states, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity adopted Common Core State Standards that provide a consistent set of educational expectations for students, regardless of ZIP code. When a family moves, a student’s education is often disrupted because the student may be forced to repeat material or learn at a different level at the new school. With common standards across states, this disruption will be reduced — of particular interest to military families. For more information, visit http://www.corestandards.org/.
If your child is preparing to attend college, this information on scholarships may be helpful.
FOR THE SERVICE MEMBER
Current service members can attend college in their off-duty time and have their military branch pay the tuition. Learn about the Military Tuition Assistance Program. Use the Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE tool to help you make the best use of your tuition assistance dollars.
If you were or are in the military, you may be eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits. If you are a spouse or dependent, you may be eligible too.
Online course options: edX – Founded by Harvard University and MIT, offers high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere. Whether you are interested in computer science, languages, engineering, psychology, writing, electronics, biology, or marketing. Enroll today!
When moving to a new location, it is important to know who to call when you have an emergency or you need help. Below are some organizations you will find useful.
Under the site’s “Child Care 101” tab you’ll find information related to locating quality child care, the types of child care available to you and how to evaluate the child care providers you visit. There’s also a special section for the military child on the website covering topics such as military fee assistance, payments and provider services.
South Carolina Department of Social Services
The Department’s mission is to serve South Carolina by promoting the safety, permanency, and well-being of children and vulnerable adults, helping individuals achieve stability and strengthening families.
South Carolina Department of Human Services (888) 549-0820
South Carolina Department of Health (803) 898-3432
South Carolina Humane Society (803) 783-1267
The mission of The Humane Society is to end animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation
Dental Headquarters (803) 895-6988
Family Child Care (803) 895-2247
Housing Services Office (803) 895-1207
ID/CAC Card Processing (803) 895-1596
Medical Appointments (803) 895-6230
On-base housing at Shaw AFB is available at Shaw Heights, Palmetto Heights, and Dogwood Place.
Shaw Heights is located on the installation and has 3 and 4 bedroom houses and Palmetto Heights consists of 3 and 4 bedroom units. Dogwood Place is an exclusive Senior Officer community consisting of 5 bedroom single family homes. The premier neighborhood is located near the Carolina lakes Golf Course.
24.1 miles from base
Reflections is a quiet and safe gated community in Columbia, SC with many different housing options. The community offers a swimming pool, clubhouse, tennis court, dog park, and lakes.
27.3 miles from base
Spring Valley is a quiet and safe gated community in Columbia, SC with a Country Club and golf course.
Report to Base is the #1 site for vetted, trustworthy realtors, mortgage brokers and home inspectors. Report To Base does all the hard work for you. All you have to do is click and call. Be sure to let our partners know you found them at Report to Base!
At Shaw Air Force Base, the summers are hot and muggy, the winters are short and cold, and it is wet and partly cloudy year round. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 36°F to 90°F and is rarely below 24°F or above 97°F.
The hot season lasts for 3.8 months, from May 23 to September 16, with an average daily high temperature above 83°F. The hottest day of the year is July 19, with an average high of 90°F and low of 72°F. The cool season lasts for 2.9 months, from November 30 to February 26, with an average daily high temperature below 62°F. The coldest day of the year is January 17, with an average low of 36°F and high of 55°F.
The wetter season lasts 3.2 months, from May 24 to August 30, with a greater than 33% chance of a given day being a wet day. The chance of a wet day peaks at 49% on July 26. The drier season lasts 8.8 months, from August 30 to May 24. The smallest chance of a wet day is 18% on October 31.
The overall cost of living in Sumter, SC is equal to the South Carolina average and 3% lower than the U.S. average. The following categories are used to calculate the overall cost of living index: goods/services (33%), housing (30%), groceries (13%), utilities (10%), transportation (9%) and health care (5%). From the list, it is clear that the categories of goods/services and housing are responsible for the largest portions of the overall cost of living index. As a general rule, everyday goods and services provide an accurate measure of the general cost of goods in any given city. In the case of Sumter, SC, the city’s goods and services are equal to the South Carolina average and 6% higher than the U.S. average.
Sumter is a small town in Sumter County, South Carolina. Known as the Gamecock City, Sumter lies near the geographic center of the state, about 100 miles west of Myrtle Beach and 175 miles east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Columbia, the state capital, lies about 45 miles to the west, and Charleston is around 100 miles to the south.
Sumter offers a wide array of outdoor activities to enjoy in their many parks, pools, and trails. Swan Lake is a beautiful public park that houses all 8 species of swan and Iris Gardens features 25 species of colorful, Japanese irises. There are also many indoor activities to enjoy including bowling, skating rinks, shopping centers, and restaurants. Sumter also hosts a variety of events during the year that are fun for all ages.
Some points of interest include Sumter County Museum, Sumter Opera House, Palmetto Park, Sumter Skate Park, and the Links at Lakewood.
Join our community
Receive great PCS tips and additional resources